So those of you lucky souls who are proud owners of the Nokia N8 (including me), are invited to bets test an app that can be termed as the single biggest step Nokia will ever take towards imaging.
the host for this invitation is none other than the genius behind the camera of the N8, Damian Dinning. He says:
Over the months following the release of the Nokia N8, we’ve continued to listen and monitor discussions and requests relating to the imaging capability of the N8. Given the continued high level of interest in this area and requests for information, I thought I would take a little time out to explain what we’ve changed, improved and added. It’s turned out to be quite a lengthy list.
First, here’s the requests we heard the most from Nokia N8 owners:
- Ability to record video at closer distances
- Smoother video of moving subjects or when panning
- Faster access to scene modes, especially close-up mode
- Exposure control in video
- Viewfinder grid not effected by scene modes, camera exit/reopening
- Smoother zoom
- Settings accessed through one control point
- Red-eye reduction performance improvements
We’ve been able to respond to all of these with two new updates.
The first one comes with the Symbian Anna. As we have all seen, there has been a lot of improvement in the UI of the camera which makes photography fun.
The second update comes out in the form of a dedicated app which is firmware independent and is available through the Beta labs only.
Camera update for Nokia N8
This application is an upgrade to the built-in camera application, for your Nokia N8. It will look familiar to you, no doubt. It’s still the great N8 camera, providing superb results. We’ve just made it a little better by making some of the improvements we didn’t manage to squeeze into the Symbian Anna release.
- We tweaked the UI, to provide camera aficionados faster access to essential camera controls
- We improved the quality of recorded videos, by cranking up the video recording speed to 30 FPS and adding the heavily requested continuous auto-focus.
This camera update is for the Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna. If you do not yet have Symbian Anna, you can check for it at http://www.nokia.com/softwareupdate or from your device Tools -> SW update.
We will not be releasing similar beta for other products due to the differences in camera hardware.
The App can be downloaded and installed from the following link : http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/camera-update/download_and_installation
Do let us know what you feel about the app…!!!