The wait is somewhat over. Though more or less dead, Nokia is still trying to keep up on it’s promises. No, it doesn’t plan to deliver Carla and Donna, but it definitely shows that it cares and more importantly—admits that the Belle is still buggy.
My N8 faces everyday hangs despite doing hard reset couple of times and reflashing the firmware, but I am just fine with it. It is a marvelous piece of hardware and I don’t need to carry a point and shoot camera everyday.
According to a post at Nokia Discussions
great news! We just started to roll out our next update for Symbian called Nokia Belle Refresh for Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01, Nokia X7 and Nokia Oro with version number 111.040.1511 (Nokia E6, version number 111.140.0058, will follow still this week, Nokia 500 updates will start to be launched within the next few weeks).
This update again brings new features to Symbian smartphones, for example:
- a new browser with HTML5 web apps support, a new set of homescreen widgets, and the previously released Microsoft Office Mobile App and Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 in one package.
- Nokia N8 will have some extra apps for imaging
The update will be rolled out in phases, starting with the vanilla versions (i.e.. basic software variants without any specific operator or country configuration). Country and operator variants will follow within the next weeks, depending on local and operator approvals.
PS: Just like after updating from Nokia Anna to Nokia Belle, some apps may not work due to compatibility issues. If you need more information on available apps, please contact your local Nokia Care support. Furthermore, you can also contact the respective App developer to enquire about the compatibility.
The change log as mentioned at AAS is as follows:
- Web browser is now v184.108.40.206 (was 220.127.116.11 in Belle) and has better HTML5 support
- More clock widgets (digital clock lookalike)
- Notes widget, for quick access to notes and to create a new one.
- Facelift (of playback controls) and functionality for Music player (split of Albums and Artists at last, implemented with tabbed interface, plus warnings of hearing loss when listening with headphones at high volume) – v17.1.14 (was 17.0.16 in Belle)
- Maps Suite 3.9 built-in (for the full firmware image via Nokia Suite)
- Qt 4.8.0 now built-in
- (for N8 only) Big Screen now built-in
- (for N8 only) DLNA play now built-in
- (for N8 only and only via Nokia Suite full flash) ColorizIt utility built-in
- Numerous assorted fixes and optimizations, including Flash video support – high bitrate videos and content are now handled fine, without crashes
The update is still in the roll out phase and many countries would not be able to see it. But the patience would certainly be worth it.
Also, please note that Device update is a very critical procedure and all care should be taken in updating your device. It is advised to make a backup in case anything goes wrong. If you are unsure of what you are doing, it is always advisable to seek some professional help.