The good folks over at Beta Labs have released an updated version of the Ovi Maps, pushing it to version 3.07, though in Beta. There are some pretty good changes that are included in this build:
- Open Maps, Drive, Check in and Guides with a just tap on your home screen.
- Search now includes a tab for favourites. Predictive search also works offline.
- Place pages have a new design including a new image gallery, user reviews, descriptions by business owners, leading guides and local content providers, e.g. TripAdvisor, HRS, Expedia additionally to Lonely Planet, Michelin guides, TimeOut, Qype and WCities.
- Easily change the map views in Drive navigation by tapping the views icon. You can pan the map to see the next move and explore the map within the route overview.
- Tap on Guides and immediately see the weather forecast for your location or another city.
Also, Beta labs lists some interesting additions:
- Now you get the option to update your maps with Update via Wi-Fi.
- Map exploration, positioning, search, interaction with places, routing, route recalculation, Walk and Drive navigation can be used offline.
- See what maps you’ve already downloaded and check back for regular map updates.
- Find recommended places near you when you’re browsing a Place or Address page.
- Search and interact with places also when using Maps offline: contact, navigate via Walk or Drive, see on the map, save as a favourite and share. Just pre-load your country maps via Wi-Fi using Update.
- Check in to places privately or publicly by sharing it on social networks: Foursquare, Facebook, Twitter, Qype, Friendster, LiveJournal, Hyves, studiVZ, Kaixin001, RenRen. You’re fully in control when sharing your location. Choose a place from the list to check in or add it as a public place if it’s missing. See the places you’ve been to in your check in history.
Seems like a lot of fun. Head over to Nokia Beta labs and give it a try.
The only let down is that the application is only available to S^3 devices and not for S60v5 devices.
Do let us know how you felt using the new Maps. happy Mapping…!!!